Ear Piercing Aftercare, Cleaning and Safety
A little TLC goes a long way when it comes to caring for a new ear piercing. With proper ear piercing care on the front end, your pierced ears will give you a lifetime of satisfaction along with endless opportunities for self-expression with new styles of feminine and fierce pierced earrings!
There are many types of body piercings you can get at Pagoda. When it comes to ear piercing, there are proper instructions for piercing aftercare, cleaning and safety. Learn how to properly care for your new piercing.
Care and Cleaning Instructions
Follow these care and cleaning instructions to ensure proper healing of your newly pierced ears.
- Always wash your hands prior to touching your pierced ears.
- Cleanse the piercing twice daily, especially after shampooing, swimming, and exercising. You can soak for five minutes in a sea salt solution. You can also use a saline piercing recovery spray.
- Ear piercing cleaning is key. Use a clean cotton swab to apply our specially formulated ear care solution. Gently push the earring forward and back and swab between your ear and the earring.
- Rotate the earring twice daily to prevent it from adhering to your ear. Twist the earring in both directions for a few minutes each time.
- With clean hands, do a quick daily check to ensure that earring backs are still securely in place. Some earrings have screw backs so you don't have to worry as much about the earring back accidentally coming off.
- Return for a free follow-up visit in 4 weeks or sooner if you have questions or concerns.
- Use caution when getting dressed, brushing your hair, exercising, and playing sports.
Piercing Aftercare Don’ts
- Don't be rough with your piercing. Be careful when brushing your hair or working out. You don't want to accidentally rip out your new piercing (ouch!).
- Don't use soap. Regular soap can be harmful to your new piercing. It can dry out the skin and make you susceptible to developing an infection. It's OK if suds run over your piercing in the shower, just make sure to rinse and clean the area afterward.
- Avoid things that thin your blood. This obviously includes some medications, but you may be taking blood thinners without realizing it. Alcohol, aspirin and too much caffeine can work as a blood thinner. Your new piercing hole may start bleeding if your blood is too thin.
- Don't touch the piercing too much. It may be tempting to play with your new piercing, but bacteria is everywhere, so try to avoid touching your ear piercing. This means you should avoid swimming pools, hot tubs and other community water locations.
- Avoid cigarettes and smoke. Cigarette smoke can slow down the healing process.
- Don't take out your earrings too soon. It's so tempting to want to change out your piercing for a new piece of jewelry. Resist the urge and wait!
How Long Does it Take for a Piercing to Heal?
It is important to keep your earrings in for a certain amount of time after your first piercing. After piercing, do not remove earrings before the specified time:
Earlobe piercing: 4 to 6 weeks or 3 to 6 weeks with 2 in 1 Piercing Advanced Aftercare & Cleanser
Cartilage piercing: 8 to 12 weeks
Potential Piercing Problems
You could run into problems with your new piercing. Don't worry, as long as you act fast you should be OK.
- Excessive Swelling: while some swelling for a new piercing is normal, excessive swelling could be a bigger problem. You can apply a cold compress to help minimize the swelling. Leave the cold compress on for about 10 minutes a few times a day. If the swelling does not go down, consider seeing your doctor.
- Ear Piercing Infection: you will probably know if you have an infection at the location of your piercing. The area will be red, flaky and may be even hot to the touch. The key is to act fast! Ramp up your aftercare cleaning. If cleaning doesn't work, go ahead and see your doctor. You may need a round of antibiotics to knock out the infection. Don't forget to complete the round of antibiotics so the infection doesn't come back.
Ear Piercing Professionals
At Pagoda, we are your ear piercing professionals. We have seen it all, and we can help you with just about any question you have. We have more specifics on body jewelry care. As always, stop by a Pagoda near you. We know you are excited about your new piercing! Go ahead and start checking out our huge selection of earrings. From hoops to studs and every type of design in between, we have a huge selection of earrings!