Care, Cleaning, and Safety
Many of the problems arising from ear piercing result from poor care after the piercing. For proper healing and satisfaction with your newly pierced ears, follow these easy cleaning instructions:
- Cleanse the piercing twice a day. Be sure to cleanse especially after shampooing, swimming or exercising.
- Use our specially formulated ear care solution when cleansing.
- Always wash your hands prior to touching your ears.
- Use a clean cotton swab to apply the ear care solution. Push the earring gently forward and backward, swabbing between your ear and the earring.
- Rotate the earring twice daily to prevent it from adhering to the ear.
- Avoid touching your ears except when cleaning.
- Cover your ears when using hair spray or perfume.
- Check daily to ensure your earring backs are securely in place.
- Make sure the safety clutch is securely locked in place so earring does not fall out of the ear lobe.
- Return for a free follow up visit in 4 weeks - or sooner if you have any questions or concerns.
- You might just be ready for your next pair of earrings!
- Be careful that earrings don't get caught when brushing your hair or pulling clothes over your head. Take extra care when exercising or playing sports.
- Do not remove earrings before the specified time:
- Earlobe piercing: keep earrings in for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Cartilage piercing: keep earrings in for 8 to 12 weeks.
- Earlobe: in many cases, reviewing and observing proper aftercare procedures will clear up any irritation in the earlobe.
- Cartilage: if redness or swelling in a cartilage piercing exists more than 24 hours after the piercing, immediately remove the earring, continue to cleanse the ear, and consult a physician.